Saturday, March 1, 2014

Meatloaf and Pinned Potatoes from PW


I used to LOVE Martha.
She was the queen of all things domestic as far
as I was concerned.  That was before the www was
as big as it is and she was IT for me.
I would actually take lunch at the nursery I worked at so
that I could come home at 10 and watch her show.

So, one day she had another Martha on.
Martha Phelps Stamps.
I immediately found her book at Barnes & Noble
(no Amazon yet...gasp)
and rushed to buy it.
I read it cover to cover just like a novel.
I started cooking all of the recipes.
Cooking with skin on chicken and butter.
It is a well used book in my kitchen.
The kind that has notes in it.

I have never liked meatloaf and only eaten it
when my mom made me sit at the kitchen table
long after Sunday dinner was over and I'm sure there were
some gagging noises involved.
I mean even the name meat loaf was just too much.
There was just too many weird things put together in the same pan.
and onions...holy ick.

Anywho...The New Southern Basics brought a whole new
attitude towards meatloaf to the Welcker house.
It is one of my husband's favorite dinners and really I love it too.
What the??  Who would've known??

I love to cook and I really love to cook on Sundays
when I can make a dinner that maybe takes a little more time.
It's a great time to try out the recipes I have pinned on Pinterest.
This Sunday I made Meat Loaf and some yummy potatoes.
I wanted to share our dinner with you.
So this is the recipe along with a few changes I've made.
I would highly recommend that cookbook if you love cookbooks.
The recipes are yummy and it's just a lovely book.

MEAT LOAF


2 lbs. ground beef
1lb pork sausage
1 onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried sage
2/3 cup tomato puree'
1/3 cup dijon mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire
1 egg
1/2 cup breadcrumbs

GLAZE
1 cup tomato puree'
1/2 cup brown sugar
8 tsp. vinegar

In a large mixing bowl mix everything together...I like to just use my hands.  It's a messy business
but it works the best.  Pack into two loaf pans...I freeze one.  Pour glaze on top. Bake at 400 for about 1 hr.


NUMMY!
Only change I would make is to maybe make 1/2 a recipe more
of the creamy goodness and a little more salt.


I love The Pioneer Woman...that woman.
She's the bomb.
But her recipes goes straight to my parts that don't need anymore added to em.
As she says...you might have to spend a little more time on the treadmill.
*big smile*
But sometimes it just has to happen!

So, there ya go.
Sunday dinner at the Welcker's.

xo,
marci


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why hello there! I love to get comments...they make me supa happy.:)