Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Farm {Before}

I ran across these pictures the other day and wanted to share a little
of what our farm looked like when we bought it.
Unfortunately we didn't take any pictures when we very first bought
it and I don't really have any pictures of the front of the house.

When we bought our little farm here it was just under 2 acres of scary.
We were looking at buying property west of here and building a new house.
The man's uncle talked us into looking at this place...it is 3 houses down from him.
It is in an area we loved.  It has an amazing view.  The neighborhood is great.
The house and property were in serious need of some fixing up.
Short story...we ended up buying it.
We were young, ambitious and kind of stupid.
*smile*


This is after we had started doing a little bit.  
We closed on it the 30th of October and weren't 
able to move in till the following March.
Yes, the inside needed that much work.
URGH!


This is the back of the bird pens where my garden area is now.
My husband had birds when he was younger and loved it
and the bird pens were one of the first things we built.
The wood all came from the old bleachers at a nearby High School.
If you look in places there is still blue paint on them.


Another view of the bird pens and our backyard.


This is the "barn".  It is really a little shack and will hopefully be replaced
someday with a beautiful old wooden barn.  
*someday*
For now it is stuffed to the rafters with hoarded antiques.
*big smile*


This is the area where my greenhouse is now.  
One thing about our place...almost all of it besides fencing
and roofing has been someone else's junk.  
We have torn apart old buildings, taken in lots of old fencing,
gone through an old pig farm, and basically been a dumping
ground for any and all building materials that people didn't want anymore.
My pride went out the door long ago.
*wink and a smile*
My dear husband has hauled many many trailers of railroad ties
from railroad dumping sites.  We have dragged old
telephone poles down the road with a four wheeler and a handtruck.
That was a sight.


The west side of the front yard.  
All of the trees that were planted here were trash trees.
We had to start all over and I planted trees as soon as possible.


My sweet hard working husband and little Maya girl.
All of the work at this house was done by him and me.
Family has helped at times but for the most part it was us.
My girls have sacrificed a lot of time and fun and that is one
of my biggest regrets about buying this place.
No matter how much I love it now...
it was a time and money pit for sure.


This was our backyard for a long time...yuck yuck yuck.
Our poor neighbors.
Finally we were able to get grass and wow that was a good day!!


Some of the first things that had to be done were siding and roofing and windows.
The siding that was on it was fiber board and it was rotten.
The roof was leaking and the windows were old aluminum that were original to the house.
We also put the porch on in the first couple of years.
Every house needs a front porch after all.


This was the side of the house...eek.


One more horrible back yard shot for the road. 

Crazy, huh? 
Lots of hard work.
It amazes me when I look at these.
I can't believe what we have accomplished.
It has been an adventure.
It's been a trial.
It's beautiful now and getting more so.
I'm so glad it's nearly done.
It's time to enjoy it.

I will post some after pictures in a day or two for those of you 
who haven't been here.
*big smile*

Just wanted to remind you that registration is open for 


 go here to see the details and to sign-up.
You don't want to miss it!!
It's going to be a good time!!


8 comments:

  1. ooooh! I cannot believe the transformation! AMAZING! (and I haven't even seen it for a few years now!) You and your husband are SO talented. YOu have a vision that most can only dream of being able to think! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet friend!! You need to come back for another visit!!:)

      Delete
  2. Marci, this is awesome! It's all about vision and dreams, right? And a ton of hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Love seeing these pics, you have all really put your heart & soul into those 2 acres. I've said it once & I'll say it again it is such a beautiful, magical place. Adorable! All your hard work has definitely paid off. Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marci, Your yard is so beautiful now. Hard to believe it ever looked like this. Everyone I know that comes to the show comments how amazing it is! Thanks for sharing and giving us hope, and inspiration! jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marci! Thank you for posting those "before" pics of your place! You have truly transformed it into a magical spot! Wowza!

    ReplyDelete

Why hello there! I love to get comments...they make me supa happy.:)